According to a research report by the archaeologist Mariusz Łesiuk, in scientific literature it is assumed that "Ilua" (despite its characteristics not being described), mentioned by Thietmar, was a border fort connected with the defensive line of the Silesia ramparts.
The next comment about Iława comes from a source from 1295 and is about Gizyler - the Vicar from "Ylavia". Ever since then there were many medieval documents about Iława.
Two presumed locations of the fort were: the island on the left bank of the river Bóbr or on its right bank, on the hill, where St. Andrzej Bobola's church stands. The excavations made in 1996 excluded these locations as those of the Iława fort. In December 2008, the owner of the Archaeological-Conservational Workshop Pro Archeologia - Mariusz Łesiuk, under the patronage of Wrocław's division of PAN's (Polish Academy of Sciences) Archaeology and Ethnography Institute, did survey-salvage archaeological works in this area. The results of these works, that ended in February, show that the "Hill of Love" is a medieval fort.
PAP - Science and Scholarship in Poland, tr. ajb, Małgorzata Dobrowolska tot/bsz